So now you have selected and purchased your new leather sofa. Leather furniture is not inexpensive, so your new purchase was a significant one. When you purchase leather furniture you recognize that you have made a significant long term purchase and you want make sure that you take all of the necessary steps to protect your new investment. You are probably wondering, what are the best products available for cleaning your new leather sofa? The last thing you want to do is use the wrong chemical on your newly acquired furniture.
There are a number of great leather cleaning products on the market. The good news is that leather is very durable and easy to clean. The key is to not allow dirt to accumulate. This article will list several trustworthy and dependable leather cleaners that you can safely use to clean your chairs, couches, recliners and more.
1. The first product may come as somewhat of a surprise to you, but baby wipes are great for basic cleaning situations when it comes to leather. Remember, leather is the skin of an animal, and baby wipes are designed to clean the skin of a baby. If the wipes are safe for the skin of an infant, they will definitely be safe for your leather furniture. Baby wipes will work fine for most basic leather cleaning tasks.
2. Method Leather Love Wipes are another non-toxic cleaning wipe that you can take directly out of the package and use to wipe down your leather furniture. These handy wipes are good for removing dust and surface dirt. Obviously they won’t be very effective on heavy duty cleaning, which really will not be much of an issue if you clean your leather couch a regular basis.
3. Master Caster Leather Cleaner has a bit more of a punch than the first two on this list. This cleaner comes with a synthetic sponge that is designed for removing stains from the leather. The cleaning agent that is used in this product is safe for leather as well as other types of furniture. It is a liquid cleaner. This product is good for those special situations, such as when one of the kids decides it would be a good idea to write on the arm of the leather sofa.
4. Guardsman has a number of good leather care products including cleaning and conditioning wipes for those quick pass by cleanings, as well as a liquid cleaner designed for those more detailed deep cleaning jobs.
5. Lexol has been making some of the best leather cleaning products for quite a while now. You can get the entire cleaning and conditioning kit to help with long term care, or you can always get the wipes for those everyday cleanup jobs. The cleaning formula for Lexol is strong enough to be used on those tough jobs, but is also gentle enough to be used as an everyday cleaner.
6. Weiman is another long-standing company that has been making leather cleaning products to help people clean their leather sectionals, chairs, and sofas for years. They also have the leather wipes, which makes cleaning your leather sofa simple, easy, and thorough. This product not only cleans, but moisturizes and even has a sunscreen integrated into the formula to protect your leather furniture from any UV rays that may be coming in through windows. Exposure to sun is one of the most damaging forces when dealing with leather furniture.
7. Howard also makes a great leather cleaner and conditioner for cleaning leather. Howard is a product that is considerably more expensive than the others, but it delivers a great finished product. Howard uses a cleaning formula that is designed to remove surface dirt while also providing a powerful deep cleaning element. The conditioner is creamy and also designed to penetrate deep into the leather to provide the conditioning that is needed to extend the life of your leather sofa.
8. For those distressed leathers such as suede and nabuck leathers, Scout Boot Care works great. Don’t let the fact that the cleaner and conditioner were created for boots fool you; this cleaner is great for all types of furniture with distressed leather finishes.
The key is to understand the principle of maintenance when it comes to leather. Leather is a natural material, meaning that it is designed to be durable and easily cleaned. Use gentle cleaners, even a little mild soap and water works well. As long as you are maintaining the sofa, you should not have any major issues.
If there is some type of emergency situation that seems a little daunting for you, do not hesitate to call in professionals; better safe than sorry.